Reading Romances:Who are your favorite romance writers and their book that stands out the most for you?
Tracy Sumner: I’m a huge romance reader of many years. Favorite romance writers? Well, LaVyrle Spencer is the reason I started reading romance.
VOWS is the first romance novel I ever read! And I still love it to this day. Also, Judith Ivory is a personal favorite. DANCE the one I loved the most. She writes unbelievable scenes, very layered characterization, just cerebral romance novels. I know that sounds odd but it’s true! This year, I’m trying to read more indie writers, too. Like me!
What’s unique about historical romance and why did you decide to write under this sub-genre?
I guess as a reader, I feel like it’s more romantic. The clothing, the settings, the mores and standards of the time that often add to the sexual tension and/or conflict. And why I decided to write in this sub-genre was/is due to my great love of it. I’m devoted to romance…but my first love are historicals. Though, I have my first contemporary release (TRUE FATE) arriving later this month. It’s actually the start of the True Men series. All with the last name of True! They’re sexy fellas.
How do you like your heroes and heroines?
I love angst-ridden heros. Ones torn between love and responsibility – who fear love or have been hurt and cannot trust. And the heroines I admire (and write) tend to be feisty and passionate. About the hero and the life they have chosen for themselves. I write heros and heroines who are committed to a profession. I like to attach this to each. For instance, in TIDES OF LOVE, Noah Garrett is a marine biologist. Not your typical profession for a hero in 1898! Although I researched heavily and all detail is accurate. And his love? Elle Beaumont is a student and passionate “freedom fighter”.
What was the most challenging thing you’ve done in the name of research that might have been out of our comfort zone?
Actually, writing the contemporary novella TRUE FATE was a bit challenging because I’m used to the flavor and tone of historical novels. Funny…because you would think the modern language and tone would flow – but it was a bit of a change for me. I heavily researched by reading lots of contemps (which I love), and I do tend to write sexier scenes, so this worked just fine! But they are different beasts.
Please tell us five fun facts about the Seaside Seduction Series that readers would love to know!
1. Noah Garrett is a marine biologist! Not the typical hero’s profession in a romance novel. And funny, but I dated a guy in grad school who used to be a marine biologist, and I really didn’t realize I was writing a little of his story (though Noah is nothing like him, really!) until after I’d completed the novel.
2. The heroine, Marielle-Claire Beaumont, is French, and I actually wrote much of the novel while living in Paris!
3. The setting is based on a very real town – Beaumont, NC. I visited and talked to the ladies at the historical society, stayed in a B&B, and walked the streets I ended up writing about. I can still see the town in my mind, which is helpful, as I’m working on the final in the trilogy – TIDES OF DESIRE.
4. That brings me to Caleb. Readers have been asking about his story for years. TIDES OF LOVE is Noah’s story (youngest brother), TIDES OF PASSION (Zach’s/oldest brother). So, that leaves Caleb. And when I was writing the first two, I have him “with” someone in the novels. But, somehow, I knew they were not going to stay together. But I didn’t know what to do about him, either. And now, I do! He’s actually the most emotional brother, the one least able to contain his passion and angst. The most vulnerable. It should be an interesting story.
5. TIDES OF PASSION won the National Reader’s Choice for Best Long Historical, which is, to date, one of the most exciting things that has ever happened to me as a writer.
What are you currently working on and what can we expect next from you?
I’m currently preparing my first contemporary release, TRUE FATE, for publication. It’s a novella introducing the True men to readers. This will be followed by TRUE DREAMS, a full-length novel, in late fall. Also, as I already mentioned, Caleb Garrett’s story, TIDES OF DESIRE, is arriving in late summer!
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions! Please feel free to leave questions for the readers if you’d like!
I would love to know what readers love about the genre. And why romance novels foster such loyalty and love!
TIDES OF PASSION, the National Reader’s Choice for Best Long Historical, debuted in October 2011. The second novel in the Tides series, TIDES OF LOVE, arrived in November. Tracy’s holiday novella, which begins the new Southern Heat series, TO DESIRE A SCOUNDREL: A Christmas Seduction, released mid-December 2012. The next in the Heat series, TO SEDUCE A ROGUE, released in February. Next on the agenda? The start of the True series, about the True men. TRUE FATE arrives mid-May!
Where you can find Tracy:
INTERNATIONAL - Ends June 8th
Tracy will be giving away a KINDLE to one randomly drawn commenter! The more you comment, the better your chances of winning!